Tuesday, July 30, 2013
Since most of my projects take such a long time, I decided to try some quicker sculpture "sketches" for a change. No preliminary drawings...just winging it as I sculpt. So, for fun, I'm starting a series of "Monster Heads". This is the first of more to come!
I won't belabor the process...it's similar to all of my other sculpture projects posted on this blog. I began with a nail hammered into a piece of wood I got at a craft store. After wrapping the nail with wire, I added aluminum foil to fill out the bulk of the shape. Then sculpey is applied, and away we go!
Here is the basic creature. I didn't take a bunch of photos along the way, because the shapes kept changing as I played...I didn't want to slow down to snap some pics. The "pink" clay is "super sculpey", the gray is a mix of "super" and "firm sculpey". The "firm" is too hard and crumbly.
The painting process takes a while...and again...I didn't take a bunch of photos. These pics give an idea of the "glazing" that I do. I started with a base of red acrylic...then a wash of watered-down black. I then "dry brush" colors on top, building subtle transitions as I go. This is repeated over and over until I get what I like.
Just for fun, I decided to goof around with the colors in Photoshop...just to see what other monsters of this species might look like where ever they come from.
Posted by Warren Ludwig
at 10:58 PM