Saturday, May 10, 2014
The sketch above was one of the skulls in a display of saber-tooth cats...a BARBOUROFELIS, the largest of the breed. I spent way too much time fiddling with this. I had a pretty good pencil drawing that I liked. But once I started adding color, the pencil lines were covered up. So this became an exercise in layering opaque washes...definitely a mixed media approach. I came back in and added more pencil at the end.
I was so excited to try a new PILOT cartridge pen I had recently ordered from Japan! But turns out, the ink was NOT waterproof. ARRRrrrrggggg!!! I found this out when I tried laying in a wash on the MOSASAUR sketch below. When I got home, I did a quick makeover in Photoshop, just to show you what the color was supposed to look like, had the black line not bled everywhere. I used a white Sharpie pen to try to cover up the smeary black ink...didn't care for the final results.
Posted by Warren Ludwig
at 7:11 PM